Sometimes, the worst part about waking up is not getting to eat "dinner food", even with all the "breakfast food" you now get to eat. Thankfully, "dinner" and "breakfast" are entirely arbitrary human concepts, and you can put whatever you want in your mouth at any time of the day.
It was with that in mind that I came up with Pesto Bacon Scramblers, an adventurous open-faced breakfast sandwich that refuses to play by your pesto rules. Serves two.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 strips of bacon
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tsp pesto
- 2 tsp cream cheese
- A buttload of cheddar cheese (or 4 slices if you gotta be all official about it)
- Simmer minced garlic in olive oil over medium heat with the bacon, turning frequently.
- As the bacon simmers, crack the eggs into a bowl with the pesto and cream cheese and whisk until well-mixed.
- Remove bacon from the pan once it reaches your preferred crispiness. Set aside on a paper towel.
- Lay the pieces of bread in the bacon grease and let them soak up the bacon grease for a minute. Your heart may hate you, but when have you ever listened to your heart? Place them aside.
- Pour just a little more olive oil in the pan, enough to coat the surface, and put the onions in, letting them simmer for about 30 seconds. Follow with the whisked eggs.
- Stay on those eggs! Keep folding them in on themselves until they maintain shape, then get them off that heat. The hot pan will continue to cook them.
- Lay the eggs onto the non-bacony side of each of the pieces of bread, enough to cover the bread. Lay the bacon over the eggs, then your sliced cheddar over that. Heat in a toaster oven on 350 until the cheddar starts to melt over the bacon, then pull out.
- Get a cup of black coffee and feast. Also, cancel your plans, because you will have horrific heartburn the rest of the day.
- It's worth it.
- Trust me.