I picked up a jar of porcini mushroom spread in my recent travels, and was waiting for a weekend I could really dive into it. This weekend was that weekend, and sweet cheesus was it worth the wait. Read below for a killer Toasted Porcini Mushroom Prosciutto Sandwich recipe, one of the most decadent things I’ve ever featured on this blog.
- Porcini Mushroom Spread
- Stone Ground Mustard
- 2 slices of fresh Italian bread
- 3 slices of prosciutto
- 3 slices of brie cheese
- 1 handful of basil
- 3-4 cherry tomatoes
- Place the slices of bread in a toaster oven on low.
- Rinse the basil and shake off as much excess water as you can.
- Place the basil on a sheet of tin foil in an oven set to low broil. Check it frequently, and leave it in no longer than ten minutes.
- As the basil roasts, remove the bread from the oven. Cover one slice with the mushroom spread and the other with the mustard. Place them back in the toaster oven for 30 seconds.
- Remove the bread. Place the prosciutto on one slice, the brie on the other, and place back in the oven.
- You probably want to take the basil out of the oven now, but feel free to leave in if you like it extra crispy.
- Slice your tomatoes in half.
- Remove the bread from the toaster oven once the cheese has reached your desired level of meltiness.
- Swap the meat over to the cheese side, then lay the tomatoes over it, covering the meat.
- Lay the basil out over the tomatoes.
- Put the other bread slice on top.
Pairs great with kettle-cooked potato chips and a liter of Westbrook Poppin’ Pils.